Saturday, September 19, 2009

Thing 2

After reading eight blog posts from our reading list (I couldn't seem to stop), I am amazed at the interaction between authors and readers! Some authors write about their thoughts and opinions while others refer to some type of research. It's all very personal! Reading these blogs is like reading someone's diary! And being able to comment on what the author is thinking/feeling! Books, both fictional and non-fictional, now seem so one-sided, so one-dimensional. Still, both forms, blogs and books, can be thought-provoking, pleasurable, and/or provide us with knowledge for a myriad of things.
I've noticed that some bloggers are concerned with proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation while others just seem to want to get their point across. There doesn't really seem to be any "style", just giving opinions, ideas, etc., but what does a math and science teacher know about types of writing? Postings and comments seem to be very informal, and, well, comfortable!
It's interesting to see, as I read these blogs, how some readers perceive certain blogs. Upon reading the comments made in response to their blogs, the authors can then see how their thoughts are being misconstrued AND can (somewhat) immediately clear up these misconceptions. It's also interesting to see how comments can lead a blog in a certain direction, how they expand the ideas set forth, and how they inspire others to engage in the "dialogue".
Since I tend to see things from a math perspective, I am somewhat limited in how I see the usefulness of blogging. I can certainly see math teachers and students bantering back and forth about solutions to problems, algorithms, etc. I can see math teachers discussing ways to teach particular skills. I can see math teachers and students challenging and validating each others' ideas and beliefs. I'm not sure I see other ways that blogging can benefit the math community. I am sure that someone will post a comment to expand my thinking, though!

1 comment:

  1. Phyllis, I had the same problem when I first thought about blogging in a math class. Though I don't have my student bloggs up and running just yet, I do see a use now.

    Think about the process standards for math, instead of making posters students could make paragraphs. Also, take a page from the CMP2 math books... look at the "Mathematical Reflections" section of each investigation and see if you can find a way to use a blog with that refelction.

    ReplyDelete